May we ask for your permission?Read more
The Philodendron is an evergreen perennial vine with large green heart-shaped glossy leaves. These beautiful foliage plants thrive well indoors, possessing air-cleaning properties, clearing the environment of toxins produced by other chemical products. Their different varieties have different physical characteristics, adding style and color to your indoor space.
Water once a week
Every week extra nutrition
Toxic to pets
Repot every year
It is best to place the Philodendron on a location with medium bright light to partial shade. Too much light will cause the leaves to turn yellow. The Philodendron prefers a spot that's spacious. Don’t forget to turn the Philodendron! The plant grows towards the sun. If you do not rotate the plant will only get full on one side and that is what you want to prevent.
Philodendron plants prefer a balanced level of moisture, not too wet nor too dry. Therefore, the best way to check if your plant needs water is to check the top centimetres of the soil. If it's dry, then you can water the plant. Watering once a week during the year is fine. It's better to skip a watering than to water too much. Overwatering can cause the roots to rot.
Repotting of the Philodendron is necessary every year. The plant is a fast grower, so its roots soon become too tight in the pot. We recommend repotting the Philodendron immediately after purchase. Repotting the plant every year gives it new nutrients and more room for root growth. The airier soil is also very good for the water flowing through. The best period to repot is spring.
The Philodendron uses a lot of energy from spring onwards to make new leaves. As a result, the plant needs extra nutrients. You can provide these nutrients by plant nutrition. We recommend giving plant nutrition once weeks from spring until autumn. After autumn and in winter it is better not to give extra nutrients. In the winter, plant nutrition can actually be harmful for the Philodendron!
The Philodendron is very air-purifying plant. This is mainly due to the long leaves of Philodendron. The long leaf surface gives the plant extra stomata. The Philodendron uses these stomata to convert CO2 into oxygen during the day. And that is always good. For you and your home.
A Philodendron is toxic for pets. Its leaves contain a high level of calcium oxalate, making it extremely toxic for humans and animals alike if ingested. They can cause drooling, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and lack of appetite, along with swelling, pain, blistering around the mouth and throat.
In general, the Philodendron does not suffer a lot from diseases and vermin. The most common for the Philodendron is the mealy bug. This can be treated with pesticide. However, it is wise to keep a close eye on the leaves of a Philodendron.